Motor Vehicle Accidents

Home > Motor Vehicle Accidents

Car accidents are often alarming, time consuming and just generally inconvenient.  Let us help you recover from your injuries and guide you through the process of communicating with your insurance company.

Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance:

Treatment for injuries sustained in motor vehicle collisions in Alberta are regulated by the Alberta Regulation Insurance Act and specifically under the Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols Regulation. Under these regulations a claimant must submit their claim within ten days of their collision by submitting an AB1 form.  (Find the AB1 form HERE). Following assessment by a health care practitioner an AB2 form is submitted to your insurance company by that health care practitioner, outlining the diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

There are two protocols regarding treatment after an automotive accident: “Under Protocol” and “Outside Protocol.” To be Under Protocol, you must complete and submit an AB-1 form to your insurance company within 10 business days of the date of your accident.

If you don’t submit your AB-1 forms within 10 business days, you are considered “Outside Protocol” and your automotive injury adjuster will decide whether direct billing will be authorized or if you’ll need to pay for your physiotherapy treatment and submit your receipts to your insurance company.